Monday, March 24, 2008

Journey of Green City towards No-Green City

Since the time I am residing at b'lore I have been hearing locals, environmentalisists, NGOs raising their voices against tree felling. But I think the local govt over here pays no heed to their concerns. Yeah, I agree that development happens at a cost, but there should be some limit for everything. You may say that you will plant a tree to neutralize the cost of killing it. But do you think that just planting a sapling is sufficient. Though I dont have any statistics, I am sure that only 1 out of every 10-20 saplings you plant survive.
In the last week's The Hindu, when I read about an NGOs initiative to call Rudali women to cry and express their sorrow for the trees uprooted in CMH road, I did'nt anticipate the amount of destruction the fellers would have caused to the nature. Its only yesterday, when I happened to visit CMH road I realized it. I could'nt believe my eyes. For a second I was thinking if I am at CMH road or somewhere else?? Almost 70% of those huge number of trees have been cut. The trees which would have taken uncountable number of years to grow; which have been providing shade to googol number of pedestrains without expecting anything in turn must have been cut in minutes time. Looking at it, anyone will empathize at the locals who feel bad that their dear city, 'The Green City' is being converted to 'The No Green city' in the name of development. I feel everyone should raise their voice, contribute their share and give back its status of 'The Green City'; for every individual over here is going to bear the brunt of destroying the nature.

No comments: